Monday, April 19, 2010

A BIG Thank You, Part 2

The day finally came. I was finally feeling well enough to take mom and sister to a day at the spa. Wednesdays in March were half price admission day at Glen Ivy and it was the perfect time to go. Mom had the day off. So, after a touch and go morning with some morning sickness and an emergency 8am stop at Taco Shop for a breakfast burrito, we were on our way. We had our cute swimsuits, our scrappy suits for the mud, our towels, water bottles, sunscreen, hats and sunglasses all loaded up and we were on our way.

We arrived about ten minutes after they opened and the line was long. Mom dropped Kendall and I off at the front and went to park. We waited in line and enjoyed the fresh smell of sweet flowers and the warm sun on our backs. The anticipation was killer. We all needed a day like this. For those of you that have never been to Glen Ivy, let me show you some fabulous pictures (other people took) of the place. It is pure bliss.













































Once we arrived, we headed to our favorite spot to set up camp. We spread out our towels and headed to the locker room to change in to our our bathing suits. After that, our first stop was at the float pool. I will let Glen Ivy explain to you just how magical it is...

"You might ask yourself, “What’s so special about a lounge pool?” Quite frankly, even we have been surprised at its popularity. You could say the reaction has been one of relaxing enthusiasm. Guests gently drift about the pool using the floats we provide. The water is just 2 ft. deep, with temperatures that range from a refreshing 80º in the summer to an inviting 95º in the winter. So year round you’ll find Glen Ivy guests floating about peacefully, visiting amongst themselves in our blue lagoon surrounded by palm trees, shade umbrellas, and a delightful beverage bar. Perhaps now you’re beginning to see what’s so special about a Lounge Pool."

We floated there for a while and then headed up to the jacuzzis. Kendall was cold, and I was a little cold too. I had sipped my favorite frozen cocktail as I was floating and it was divine. The bartender made it non-alcoholic for me and I enjoyed every last sip. There are quite a few hot tubs to choose from at Glen Ivy. We chose to soak in the terrace hot tub. It is quiet, private and never crowded because no one knows it exists. Mom tried out the salt water hot tub, but it was crowded, so Kendall and I avoided it.











I had permission from my OB to go in for as long as I wanted. His only request was that when I started to feel hot, I needed to get out. I sat on the edge and chatted with mom and Kendall. We then went back to our loungers and laid out for a bit and then had lunch at Cafe Sole. Mom and I shared a Hawaiian Pizza and mixed greens salad. It sounded good and had my favorite, apple wood smoked ham. Normally, I am not a Hawaiian Pizza kind of girl, but it was so good. Kendall had already eaten a Tuna Salad Kit she brought from home, so she just had a fruit cup.

Here are some pictures of us at lunch.
Kendall and mom waiting in line.














Who knew lemons, oranges, ice and water could be so fabulous? (Please excuse the poor posture and overall frumpyness. I felt way more fabulous than I looked. Ha!)













A glimpse of my 20 week 3 day belly.







































After lunch we floated some more. Kendall actually saw Minley move in my belly. She saw the whole thing shift. I did not believe her, but when she pointed out where little Min moved to, she was dead on. A little while later, I was sitting in the float pool, just relaxing, when Minley decided it was again time to change positions. I was so relaxed at that point, that the movement caused me to fall backwards in to the pool. Ahhh...bliss.

The day was quickly coming to an end and we wanted to go do the mud, so we headed there next. The first thing you do is change in to your scrappy bathing suit. Mine did not fit well, so there are no pictures, sorry. Then you head over to the mineral baths to prep your skin. For the first time, ever, we had to wait in line to get in the mineral baths. Here is an explanation of the Mineral Baths from Glen Ivy.

"It is difficult to say for certain when people first enjoyed the natural springs here at Glen Ivy. We know the Native Americans enjoyed the blend of cool and warm waters that flowed naturally from Coldwater Canyon in the Temescal Valley. As time went on, the popularity of the springs grew while people sought after the relaxing, health-promoting powers of the mineral and sulfurous waters. Today, visitors can enjoy a thorough soak in these soothing waters as minerals are absorbed through the skin and the warmth of the water helps heal what ails you. Just don’t be surprised if the minerals tarnish your silver jewelry (it will require some polishing). A small price to pay for such an adventure.
Here is an analysis of our mineral water:
Element  Milligrams/Liter 
Sodium Chloride 14.8 mg/L 
Calcium Carbonate  25.6 mg/L
Sodium Sulfate 123 mg/L
Sodium Carbonate 41.3 mg/L
Calcium 10.3 mg/L
Sodium 70.0 mg/L
Fluoride 3.13 mg/L
Total Dissolved Solids 216 mg/L
pH Level 9.44
Glen Ivy's mineral baths hover at a 104° in temperature, and yes, those minerals are going into your body.  If you have health concerns, ask a doctor before going in.  If you're pregnant, we do not recommend staying more than 10 minutes in the baths.  (But you should check with your doctor anyway.)"


After a good soak, we headed over to the mud...it is the best part of Glen Ivy! Here is Glen Ivy's info on the mud...

"Few things take you back to younger days faster than a good frolic in the mud. You may start out a bit shy and apprehensive, picking up a little mud here, dabbing some there. Before you know it, you’ll be covered from head to toe. And it’s more than just fun and games. Red clay has been used as a purifying agent since ancient times. It draws from the pores, absorbs impurities, and releases waste and dead skin cells while tightening and revitalizing the skin. After you cover yourself with mud, you can either dry out in the sun or in the Wafa, our special drying chamber. As the mud dries, it becomes loose and powdery so you can simply brush off most of it. Shower off the remaining mud using Glen Ivy’s own lavender scented Soothing Body Cleansing Gel. You can even complete the experience with a visit to The Grotto for an intense body moisturizing treatment. We recommend you bring an extra swimsuit to Glen Ivy (like maybe last year’s suit). Then if the red mud stains your suit, you’ll simply be amused and glad to take home a memento.
Our mud contains natural water from our hot springs, and it is generally safe for women who are pregnant." Here is what our mud is made of:

Element  California Red Clay  The Earth 
Silica Dioxide  59.2%  59.14% 
Aluminum  21.5%  15.34% 
Iron  7.7%  6.88% 
Calcium Oxide  .05%  3.48% 
Magnesium Oxide  .22%  5.08% 
Potassium Oxide  .87%  .84% 
Titanium Oxide  .98%  3.13% 


Kendall wrote "Baby's First Spa Day" on my the belly part of my swimsuit and it got a lot of laughs. I was happy she did it because I looked so frumpy in a suit that I should have tried on before we left the house. It DID NOT fit. We did not do the Grotto this time, but maybe another time. We were running short on the day and it just did not work in to our schedules. While Kendall and mom were waiting for me to finish getting ready (I move a little slower these days)...They took this picture of Kendall, who happened to wear her "Super Aunt Cape" most of the day.

















After we showered, cleaned up and packed all of our things, we hit the road. But before we got to the freeway, we had to make another Pregnant Lady Pit Stop at Tom's Farms...and guess what we bought?
PICKLES! I ate one on the way home. Yummy!














And I must give another shout out to mom and Kendall...THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking such good care of us...you are the best!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment