That was until Justin mentioned that NASCO (his pseudo-company, he manages the contract work they do on his ships and spends a lot of time at NASCO) was christening a new ship tonight. Complete with champagne breaking and all! This was a unique opportunity because they were rolling the boat in to the bay. This is rare, now days. Mainly because if there is a leak, it is hard to catch because the boat is IN the water...They usually slowly flood the boat dock, checking for leaks as they go and then back the ship in to the bay.
The way Justin's most recent ship was undocked...just for some perspective, You can walk under the boat. Those blocks under the boat are almost 7 feet tall! (pics from camera phone)

I jumped at the opportunity. I called my parents, who were also planning to just stay home for the weekend, and they decided to come down too! I turned in to quite the day. So by noon, they were on their way. We grilled hotdogs and then Lauren went down for her nap and mom and I ran to dress barn in a last ditch effort to find an Easter/Nicole's Wedding Dress...and SUCCESS!!! I found the perfect dress and it was the first one I spotted and tired on. I only went $2 over my generous budget Justin gave me. Score. (and it will be perfect for Lauren's first birthday too!)
We headed home, and Lauren was just waking up. So we packed up and headed to Coronado to check out the private beach on North Island. AMAZING! Better then the beach at Camp Pendleton.
(All pictures from the camera on the phone. We had the snazzy Nikon...but it was in the car...erg!)

Heading to the beach in style!




Then we headed over to McDonald's for a quick bite to eat and then headed over to NASCO ship yard. We were able to park in a reserved lot, so that was awesome. I am so glad we brought the Tetunia jogger. The terrain was a little rough getting there. The ceremony was a little boring, but it was cool to hear some 2 and 3 star admirals speak. Lauren had a bottle, and then made friends with all of the other bored people sitting around us. Then it was time...they blessed the ship, christened it, and then pulled the pin and that sucker high tailed it right in to the bay. I am sure you can hear me on the video going, "oh my gosh, it is going so fast...oh my gosh!!!" Fireworks followed, and Lauren was not so sure of the loud bangs, but loved the actual fireworks! Hopefully she will love them by 4th of July!

Wow - what a cool experience. I'm so jealous of your living so close to the beach!
ReplyDelete