Tuesday, July 5, 2011

4th of July Weekend-The PowWow

Last year at this time, I was a big miserable pregnant lady.

This year, I was the excited mommy of an almost ONE year old! Being that Fourth of July is my favorite holiday, tied with Valentines Day, I went all out with outfits this year for Lauren. One for each day of the weekend! We headed to Temecula on Thursday night. Justin took Friday off, so we left a day early. Friday was uneventful and we all just hung out. My mom had to work her last day at Coldwell Banker, so she got home very late.

Saturday, we got a fairly early move on the day. It was Pechanga's PowWow, and every year we say that we want to go, but we never do. This year, I was determined to go. We can hear the drums every year miles away at my parent's house and it is so cool. Strangely, I called Pechanga and asked when they would be drumming and they said "there is no schedule". So do they just drum when the mood strikes? The answer was yes. ::sigh:: Lauren played in her blue bin while I gathered her things.

We decided to get there right when it started on Saturday morning (11am). It was already hot out. The PowWow was set up in a circle. There were some grandstands, and then creating the circle were tents representing all the tribes in the US and Canada (that came). Then the next layer were different vendors selling Indian Wares (made in China) and food vendors. I was starving when we got there, so I had a turkey leg. I still do not like those things. Yuck! Justin had a hot dog, and Kendall had a pickle. We walked around and looked at all the made in China junk for sale. Lauren was getting hot in her stroller, so she took a ride on her daddy's shoulders instead.

Then we went up in to the grand stands to watch the announcement of all the different tribes and groups there. I think they were getting judged on their costumes and dances. It was hot in the stands, so shortly after all the tribes were announced, we bailed.



Some groups were more animated than others.






Everyone was hot, hungry and thirsty and we could no agree where we wanted to stop and eat, so we headed home. Justin went to the movies. Kendall, mom, Lauren and I headed back down to Rosa's in old town. We LOVE it there. After a late lunch, we headed to the Vegetable Stand, but there was nothing we wanted, so we headed home.



Lauren had a bottle alfresco.

Then it was time to make smores and watch the Pechanga PowWow fireworks. The fire pit was too much of a fire danger, so dad improvised. Nothing heats coals in a colander better than a blow torch!



My mom and sister had never tried smores before! Lauren spent a lot of time in the blue bin. She really likes it in there! Silly girl!





After fireworks, Lauren had a bottle and passed out like this! She was SO tired.


No comments:

Post a Comment