I still had my catheter in from my epidural, and I asked them to not take it out for the night. I wanted to keep it in because I was afraid my bladder would act up. It was so odd having these women coming in every hour or two and changing all my pads and bandages and what not. They also took my temperature, blood pressure, and pulse...all night long.
By morning, I was a stressed out, miserable wreck. I was not in any pain though, so that was good. In fact, I never took anything stronger than Advil. Breakfast came and it was disgusting. Dr. Dunn came in the next morning to check on me. He was really really nice. A pediatrician came in to check on Lauren too...not sure who she was. Then the new shift of nurses came on. The new nurse was so abrasive and had zero bedside manner. Lauren started choking and I freaked out and she said it was "not a big deal." This sent me in to a major tail spin. I called my mom and told her that she needed to get back down to the hospital as soon as possible. In the mean time, the nurses assistant came in and I lost it. I started crying and told her what happened. She was so kind and sweet and asked if I wanted a new nurse. I said that I would wait it out, but I think she said something to the other nurse, because she came back with a whole new attitude.
I called my mom back and let her know that she did not need to rush down right away, but that I still wanted her to come and visit. Mom and Dad arrived around noon and took over baby care, so that Justin and I could get some sleep...and it was fabulous. When they arrived, I was nursing Lauren...which did not go so well. They also brought along pizza for Justin and I do not think he could have been any happier.
They happily took her from me and cuddled her all afternoon and late in to the night.
While daddy and mommy got some much needed rest.
Kendall drove all the way back to La Jolla from Devore (126 miles one way) just to see her Little Lauren after school at the San Bernardino Sheriffs Academy.
Lots of fun little things happened that day while mom, dad, and Kendall were visiting. Some were caught on video...some were not, like when my mom checked to see if Lauren had a poopie diaper and ended up with two fingers looking like they had been dipped in chocolate pudding. We will never let her live those down. On video we captured "Bompie attempting to swaddle Lauren", "Lauren's first, well, second bad habit", and "Lauren peeing on Auntie Kendie during a diaper change."
Lauren is One Day Old. The password is Lauren.
Around 8pm, Justin and my mom headed over to the University Town Center Mall and bought dinner. Hospital food is just horrid...so they picked up my favorite...Boudin Bakery. I had half a turkey cranberry and a bowl of clam chowder. It hit the spot!
After Mom, Dad and Kendall left, we ended our day with a little Koala Care (skin to skin bonding)...
and our first unofficial family photo...
After such an awful night...I must say, the first day went a lot better.

Written on August 20 & 21, 2010
Love the videos, Lauren is just TOO cute!
ReplyDelete